Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute seal surround by image of two women looking toward each other


Standing on the shoulders of giants | Sobre los hombros de gigantes

The Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute is proud to walk with many young leaders at the top of higher education. But their journey didn't start there: it was the work and effort of their families who helped them get where they are.

El Instituto de Liderazgo Hispano Cisneros (Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute) está honrado de caminar con muchos jóvenes líderes en la cima de la educación superior. Pero su viaje no empezó con nosotros: fue el trabajo y el esfuerzo de sus familias quienes los ayudaron a llegar donde están ahora.

¿De que hablan mis [email protected]?

Have you ever wondered what your child or student is talking about when they say things like "I hope I get that internship," or "I have Federal Work-Study this semester"?

We put together a quick list of questions and answers you might have about GW, Washington D.C., and college life in general.

¿Alguna vez Ud. ha preguntado de qué hablan tus [email protected] o estudiantes cuando dicen "Espero que me respondan de esa internship," o "Este semestre soy un estudiante de Federal Work-Study"?

Recopilamos una lista rápida de preguntas y definiciones que pueda tener sobre GW, Washington D.C. y la vida universitaria en general.

Title for question section: About George Washington University

Title for Questions section: Sobre la universidad George Washington (in Spanish)

GW? Where's that?

The George Washington University is a private university located in Washington D.C. Inside of the city, its main campus is in the center of the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.

¿GW? ¿Dónde está eso?

George Washington University es una universidad privada ubicada en Washington D.C. Dentro de la ciudad, el campus principal de GW está en el centro del barrio de Foggy Bottom.

And when do I need to get there?

For the upcoming Fall 2020 semester, classes are scheduled to start on August 31. However, for this semester undergraduate classes will be held entirely online.

For more information on this decision, read GW's Fall Plan FAQ. For more information on the schedule, visit GW's Academic Calendar.

¿Y qué día tengo que llegar?

Para el próximo semestre de Otoño 2020, las clases están programadas para empezar el 31 de agosto. Sin embargo, este semestre las clases serán totalmente en línea.

Para más información sobre esta decisión, lee el Plan de Otoño de GW (en inglés). Para más información sobre las fechas, visita el Calendario Académico de GW (en inglés).

Do students live on campus? How does that work?

For this semester, most undergraduate students will not be living on campus due to all classes being held online. Housing on campus will be limited to a number of students who have extenuating personal or academic circumstances.

GW is an urban campus, blending with the rest of the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. Most of GW’s on-campus living accommodations are within Foggy Bottom. As such, most undergraduate students live on-campus there.

All on-campus housing is managed by GW, and they have restricted access to only those students who live in those buildings. Inside of each hall, the floors are monitored by Resident Advisors, GW staff who are in charge of creating a sense of community and safety. RAs are also available at any time in case of an emergency.

For more information on deadlines, residence halls, and campus services, visit the Campus Living and Residential Education website.

¿Los estudiantes viven dentro de la universidad? ¿Cómo funciona eso?

Este semestre, la mayoría de estudiantes no vivirán en el campus porque las clases se llevarán a cabo en línea. Vivir en el campus será limitado a estudiantes con circunstancias específicas, ya sean personales o académicas.

GW es un campus urbano, dentro del barrio de Foggy Bottom. La mayoría de las instalaciones de vivienda de GW están dentro o cerca de Foggy Bottom. Por lo tanto, la mayoría de estudiantes viven en el campus.

Todas las instalaciones de vivienda dentro del campus están administradas por GW, y tienen acceso restringido solamente a los estudiantes que viven en esos edificios. Dentro de cada residencia, los pisos están monitoreados por Resident Advisors (Asesores Residentes), personal de GW que tienen la responsabilidad de crear un sentido de comunidad y seguridad. RA's también están disponibles en cualquier momento en caso de emergencia.

Para más información del calendario, instalaciones de residencia y servicios del campus, visita la página de Vivienda y Educación Residencial (en inglés).

Does GW offer transportation?

GW has a bus system connecting its campuses in the DMV area, free for any GW student, faculty, or staff member. For more information on their schedules and routes, visit the Transportation and Parking Services website.

¿GW ofrece transporte?

GW tiene un sistema de buses conectado sus campuses en el área DMV (área que comprende D.C., Maryland y Virginia), gratis para cualquier estudiante, profesor o miembro de personal de GW. Para más información sobre sus horarios y rutas, visita la página de Servicios de Transporte y Estacionamiento (en inglés).

Is the Foggy Bottom campus the only GW campus?

Foggy Bottom is the main campus at GW, but there are two other campuses in the DMV area: the Mount Vernon Campus, and the Virginia Science and Technology Campus (VSTC).

Most undergraduates will spend most of their time at Foggy Bottom, and they will only need to go to Mount Vernon or VSTC if they live on that campus or choose to take classes there.

The free shuttle service connects all campuses. For more information on these routes, visit the Transportation and Parking Services website.

¿El campus de Foggy Bottom es el único campus de GW?

El campus en Foggy Bottom es el campus principal de GW, pero existen otros dos campuses en el área DMV: el campus Mount Vernon y el campus de Ciencia y Tecnología en Virginia (VSTC por sus siglas en inglés).

La mayoría de estudiantes pasan la mayoría del tiempo en Foggy Bottom, y solo irán a Mount Vernon or VSTC si eligen vivir o estudiar en uno de esos campuses.

El sistema de buses de GW conecta a todos los campuses. Para más información sobre sus horarios y rutas, visita la página de Servicios de Transporte y Estacionamiento (en inglés).

Where can I find food on campus?

Inside GW, students can purchase food using their student ID, known as their "GWorld." These purchases are made using Dining Cash, which are included in their room and board costs. The dining plans are required for all undergraduate students living on campus.

For more information, visit the GWorld Dining website.

¿Dónde puedo encontrar comida en GW?

Dentro de GW, los estudiantes pueden comprar comida usando su carné de identidad GWorld. Estas compras se realizan usando Dining Cash, dinero incluido dentro de los costos residenciales. Los planes de comida son obligatorios para todos los estudiantes viviendo dentro del campus.

Para más información, visita la página de GWorld Dining (en inglés).

And where's the Latino community?

At GW there are multiple affinity groups for the Hispanic/Latino community. Some examples include the Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC), Casa Blanca, and the Organization for Latin American Students (OLAS).

¿Y dónde está la comunidad Latina?

En GW hay múltiples grupos de afinidad para la comunidad Hispana/Latina. Algunos ejemplos son el Centro de Servicios Multiculturales para Estudiantes (MSSC), Casa Blanca y la Organización para Estudiantes Latino Americanos (OLAS).

Does GW have physical and mental health resources available for students?

GW has the Colonial Health Center (CHC for short), a facility for GW students to get physical or mental care. They're located on the Ground Floor of the Marvin Center (800 21st Street, NW).

Currently, the Colonial Health Center is operating by telemedicine until further notice.

¿GW tiene recursos para la salud física y mental de los estudiantes?

GW tiene el Centro de Salud Colonial (conocido como "CHC"), una instalación para que estudiantes de GW reciban atención médica, ya sea física o mental. Está ubicada en la planta baja del edificio Marvin Center (800 21st Street, NW).

Actualmente, el Centro de Salud Colonial está operando remotamente hasta nuevo aviso.

Title for question section: About Washington D.C.

Title for question section: Sobre Washington D.C. (in Spanish)

Where's Washington D.C. located?

The city of Washington D.C. is located in the Northeast of the United States. The District of Columbia territory is between the states of Maryland and Virginia.

¿Dónde queda Washington D.C.?

La ciudad de Washington D.C. (Distrito de Columbia) está ubicada en el Noreste de los Estados Unidos. D.C. está entre los estados de Maryland y Virginia.

Is there public transportation in D.C.?

D.C. is a very friendly city for public transportation. Besides buses running through the city most of the day, D.C. also has one the best subway systems (here it's called Metro) in the country, running underground and connecting the District with Virginia and Maryland.

The central Metro stop on campus is the Foggy Bottom station, located next to the GW Hospital. This stop is part of the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines.

GW is not partnered with the Metro. For more information on maps, times, and fare prices, visit the WMATA website.

¿En D.C. hay transporte público?

D.C. es una ciudad muy accesible para el transporte público. Además del sistema de buses que operan en la ciudad la mayor parte del día, D.C. también tiene uno de los mejores sistemas de tren subterráneo (acá lo llamamos Metro) en el país, conectando al Distrito con Virginia y Maryland.

La estación del Metro en GW se llama la estación de Foggy Bottom, y está ubicada al lado del Hospital GW. Esta parada es parte de la líneas Azul, Naranja y Plata.

GW no tiene un contrato con el Metro. Para más información sobre los mapas, horarios y precios, visita la página del Metro de D.C., WMATA (en inglés).

What other neighborhoods are in D.C.?

The neighborhoods closest to Foggy Bottom are Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Downtown. For more information on D.C.'s neighborhoods, visit the D.C. neighborhood guide.

¿Qué otros barrios hay en D.C.?

Los barrios más cercanos a Foggy Bottom son Georgetown, Dupong Circle, y Downtown. Para más información sobre los barrios de D.C., visita la guía de barrios de D.C (en inglés).

Title for question section: General Questions

Title for Questions section: Preguntas Generales (in Spanish)

What is FERPA? What does it prevent me from knowing about my student?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.

These are a group of rights to private records which are transferred to the student once they turn 18. In short, as soon as a student is 18 years old, parents and guardians don't have permission to view these records without the student's explicit consent.

For more information on FERPA, visit the Department of Education's website.

¿Qué es FERPA? ¿Qué me impide saber sobre mi estudiante?

Ley de Derechos Educativos y Privacidad Familiar (FERPA por sus siglas en inglés) es una ley federal que protege la privacidad de los registros académicos de los estudiantes.

Este derecho al acceso a registros privados son transferidos al estudiante una vez que él/ella cumplen 18 años de edad. En resumen, tan pronto como el/la estudiante tiene 18, los padres/guardianes ya no tienen permiso para ver estos registros sin el consentimiento expreso del estudiante.

Para más información de FERPA, visita la página del Departamento de Educación (en español).

What's the difference between scholarships, grants, fellowships and loans?

Scholarships - Money awarded to students by different organizations based on a set of specific criteria. The requirements can often be divided in two main categories: need-based and merit-based. Need-based criteria are mostly about the student's financial situation, and merit-based depend on the student's academic success. Scholarships do not need to be paid back.

Grants - Like scholarships, a grant comprises a financial award given to a student, but the main difference is that grants usually come from the federal government. The most common example is the Pell Grant, given through FAFSA.

Fellowships - Fellowships are a type of financial assistance given to a student, typically merit-based, for the purposes of the advanced study of an academic subject. These usually come with additional responsibilities such as research and teaching assistance.

Loans - Sums of money borrowed from a specific entity which are expected to be paid back with interest after a certain amount of time. Common loan lenders include banks, the government, and even the university itself.

¿Cuál es la diferencia entre scholarships, grants, fellowships y loans?

Scholarships - Un tipo de beca (ayuda financiera) ofrecida a estudiantes desde diferentes organizaciones, basada en un conjunto de criterios específicos. Los requisitos pueden ser divididos en dos categorías principales: need-based (necesidad) o merit-based (mérito). Las de necesidad se basan en la situación financiera del estudiante, y las de mérito en su desempeño académico. El dinero de las scholarships no tiene que ser devuelto.

Grants - Como las scholarships, las grants son ayuda financiera ofrecida a un estudiante, pero la diferencia principal es que éstas provienen usualmente del gobierno federal. La más común es la Pell Grant, obtenida a través de FAFSA.

Fellowships - Los fellowships son un tipo de ayuda financiera usualmente ofrecida por criterios de mérito para el estudio avanzado de una materia académica. Esta ayuda comúnmente viene acompañada por responsabilidades adicionales como una posición de asistencia de investigación o docencia.

Loans - Los loans son sumas de dinero prestado de una institución que tienen que ser devueltos con interés después de una cierta cantidad de tiempo. Instituciones que otorgan préstamos para fines académicos incluyen bancos, el gobierno, e incluso la misma universidad.

What's FAFSA? Is it a type of scholarship?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a federal form to be filled and submitted by students to be eligible for federal financial aid. The questions include student's personal information and parents or guardians' tax information.

For more information, access the FAFSA website.

¿Qué es FAFSA, es un tipo de beca?

La Aplicación para Ayuda Federal Estudiantil (FAFSA por sus siglas en inglés) es una aplicación que tiene que ser completada por estudiantes universitarios para ser elegibles para obtener ayuda financiera federal. Las preguntas dentro del formulario incluyen información personal del estudiante e información sobre los impuestos de padres o guardianes.

Para más información, accede a la página en Español de FAFSA.

What does it mean to be a Federal Work-Study student?

Federal Work-Study is a government-run program based on FAFSA that provides part-time jobs for college students with financial need, usually located on-campus.

Jobs can be varied depending on skill level and availability, but usually fall into administrative or programming assignments.

Since FWS is always run through the university, they offer flexibility for students to prioritize their schoolwork.

¿Qué significa ser un estudiante en Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study es un programa del gobierno federal a través de FAFSA que ofrece trabajos a medio tiempo para estudiantes universitarios que necesitan ayuda financiera, usualmente ubicados dentro del campus.

Los trabajos varían dependiendo de las habilidades y la disponibilidad del estudiante, pero usualmente tienen responsabilidades administrativas o programáticas dentro de diferentes departamentos.

Debido a que FWS siempre es administrado por la universidad, estos empleos ofrecen flexibilidad para que los estudiantes prioricen sus responsabilidades académicas.

*What is an internship? Are they important?

Internships are temporary job positions meant to help students gain work experience in their selected field of study. Internships sometimes come with financial assistance or can often be done for college credits as part of a student's requirements for graduation.

Internships are typically considered very important by potential employers because the experience they provide demonstrates the interest a student has in working in similar jobs, and serves as hands-on training for when they graduate from college. Additionally, internships are great opportunities for students to develop their professional networks.

Internships can be found on websites like LinkedIn or Glassdoor. At GW, the school uses Handshake for all internships and on-campus job applications.

GW also has resources to help students who need to take an unpaid internship, but cannot afford it. See the KACIF program for more information.

¿Qué es un internship? ¿Son importantes?

Las internships (pasantías) son posiciones laborales por un tiempo limitado que buscan proveer a un estudiante con experiencia laboral en su área de estudios. Estas posiciones a veces incluyen asistencia financiera, y también pueden ser créditos académicos que cuentan como clases en los requisitos para la graduación del estudiante.

Las internships son usualmente consideradas muy importantes en futuros trabajos porque demuestran experiencia que el/la estudiante tiene en responsabilidades similares, y son parte del entrenamiento antes de que salgan de la universidad. Adicionalmente, las internships son buenas oportunidades para que los estudiantes expandan y desarrollen su red de contactos.

Las internships pueden ser encontradas en sitios web como LinkedIn y Glassdoor. En GW se utiliza el sitio web Handshake para publicar internships y puestos de trabajo dentro del campus.

Hay recursos para estudiantes de GW que quieren hacer una internship no-remunerada. Para más información, accede a la pagina del programa KACIF (en inglés). 

What is an advisor? Who is typically an advisor?

An advisor is a faculty or staff member within the university who the student goes to for advice on their field of study or educational path. Typical advice includes which classes to take, job and internship opportunities, and making sure the student is meeting their requirements for timely graduation.

¿Qué es un advisor? ¿Quién usualmente es un advisor?

Un advisor (o asesor) es un miembro de la facultad o personal dentro de la universidad a quien el/la estudiante acude para consejos o ayuda sobre su área de estudios y su camino de estudios. El asesoramiento incluye consejos sobre qué clases tomar, avisos de puestos de trabajos y internships, y estar pendiente de lo que el/la estudiante necesita hacer para graduarse a tiempo.

My student is undocumented. Does that affect them in any way?

For general information about undocumented students, visit the GW Undocumented website.

Call us at 202-994-9242 to discuss any issues specific to your student.

Mi estudiante es indocumentado. ¿Eso lo afecta de alguna manera?

Para información general sobre estudiantes indocumentados, visite la página de Undocumented GW (en inglés).

Llámenos al 202-994-9242 para hablar de la situación particular de su estudiante.

My student says they want to study abroad. What does that mean? Is it beneficial?

Studying abroad is an opportunity to study for a limited period of time (between a few weeks to a year) in another country. This can give the student the chance to improve their interpersonal and intercultural skills by interacting with students from many different countries.

In the job market, study abroad can be considered an advantage, especially for job fields that require international experience, highlighting these students as globally competent.

For more information, visit the GW Study Abroad website.

Mi estudiante quiere hacer Study Abroad. ¿Qué significa eso? ¿Es beneficioso?

Study Abroad (estudiar en el extranjero) es una oportunidad para que el/la estudiante pueda estudiar por un período limitado (semanas, meses, un año) en otro país. Esto puede darle al estudiante la posibilidad de mejorara sus habilidades interpersonales e interculturales al interactuar con estudiantes de muchos países diferentes.

En el mercado laboral, estudiar en el extranjero puede ser considerado una ventaja, especialmente para trabajos que requieren experiencia internacional, ya que señalan que estos estudiantes son tienen competencia global.

Para más información, visita la página de Study Abroad GW.

What is a transfer student?

A transfer student is a student who decides to switch schools during their college career. Often, this change occurs when a student who completes their education at a community college or technical school for two years (obtaining an Associate's Degree, for example), chooses to continue at a university to get their 4-year degree, like a Bachelor's.

Occasionally, a student will transfer from one university to another, and the reasons include changing majors, fields of study, or convenience.

¿Qué significa ser un transfer student?

Un transfer student (estudiante transferido) es un estudiante que decide cambiar de universidad durante su carrera universitaria. Usualmente, este cambio ocurre cuando un estudiante que completa su educación en un community college o escuela técnica por 2 años (y obtiene su título de Associate's Degree), decide continuar en una universidad para obtener un título de 4 años, como un Bachelor's.

A veces, existen casos donde estudiantes se transfieren de una universidad a otra, y las razones varían desde cambios de especialización, área de estudios, o conveniencia.

Can a student keep studying after college? What are the benefits of another degree?

After finishing a typical 4-year degree, a college student will obtain their Bachelor's Degree. If they choose to pursue another degree, this can take the form of another Bachelor's, or more commonly, a Master's Degree.

Master's Degrees are programs in a specific field of study, typically ranging between 1 and 2 years of duration to complete. After, students also have the possibility of pursuing a Ph.D. and be awarded with a Doctorate's Degree.

¿Los estudiantes pueden continuar estudiando después de graduarse? ¿Cuáles son los beneficios de un segundo título?

Después de terminar una carrera universitaria típica de 4 años, el/la estudiante recibirá su título universitario de Bachelor's. Si desean seguir otro camino de estudios, esto puede ser otro Bachelor's de 4 años, o comúnmente un grado de Master's (maestría).

Las maestrías son programas en una área específica de estudios, y usualmente duran entre 1 y 2 años. Después de la maestría, los estudiantes tienen la posibilidad de completar un Ph.D., y obtener un doctorado.